Many organisations and individuals are in a position to improve the experiences of men from preconception to parenthood.
You can help by taking action within your sphere of influence.
Here are some suggestions:
• Endorse the seven goals of the Case for Change as a public statement that you believe change is required and that these goals will lead to better outcomes for men and their families.
• Review the Achieving Action table on pages 15-18 of the Case for Change report and identify opportunities for change at your organisation. For example:
- Develop an organisational response to the Case for Change
- Lobby/dedicate resources to the engagement and support of men
- Establish, improve or expand programs for men
- Audit your organisation’s policies, procedures and resources to determine whether they are father-inclusive and father-proactive
- Work with men to help improve systems and resources
- Present fathers as positive role-models and challenge traditional family stereotypes
- Create a parent-friendly workplace - ensure parental leave and flexible work arrangements are routinely available for fathers and mothers, and actively encourage uptake
- Support the men in your life as they plan for, or become fathers.