We're not a clinical service, so we can’t provide advice on individual medical queries or specific medical practitioners. If you have any concerns about your health, it’s important that you see your GP to diagnose the problem and find out about available treatments.

We understand that it can be uncomfortable talking to your doctor, but you can help start the discussion by having some questions and a list of your symptoms written down. The information on our the ‘Men's Health’ pages and in our fact sheets can be helpful when you’re putting together some questions.


How to find a doctor

If you don’t have a doctor at the moment, try using the ‘Find a Doctor’ tool on this page.

It’s also often a good idea to ask your family, friends or workmates for a recommendation. And remember, it’s important to get a second opinion if you have any concerns about treatments.

Who should I see?

A general practitioner (GP) is normally your first point of contact on anything medical. Your doctor can also help identify and refer you to an appropriate health practitioner. These include:

General practitioner

The central partner in your health who can advise other health services that may be useful for you.


Your health professional to help care for your teeth, gums and mouth.

Primary health care nurse

A nurse who does many different things to support your health and wellbeing. They might provide information, advice, education, treatment, referral and support for planned care in the home and community settings.

Nurse practitioner

A nurse who provides advanced nursing care in specialist areas.


An expert in hearing loss and balance disorders. Audiologists can help people of all ages with the use of hearing aids and other devices which improve their ability to communicate.


Helps you manage diet and nutrition. They will advise and support you if you are affected by health conditions like diabetes, being overweight, obesity, cancer, heart disease, renal disease, gastro-intestinal conditions and food allergies.

Exercise physiologist

Provides specialised exercise interventions for people with health issues including chronic conditions and injuries. The aims of the intervention are to assist in restoring your optimal physical function, health and wellness.

Occupational therapist

Enables people who’ve experienced illness, decreased ability to do everyday tasks, or serious injury (stroke, car accident, bone breaks) to participate in the everyday activities of life, such as showering, dressing and preparing food. They also play an important role assisting people to access education, return to the workforce and volunteer across a range of areas.


An expert in eye health trained to prescribe glasses and contact lenses and treat a range of eye conditions such as dry eye, allergies and infections.


Works with people of all ages to treat a broad range of health conditions including sports injuries and musculoskeletal conditions. They also assist with chronic health conditions such as osteoporosis, falls prevention and stroke.


Helps you in the care of your lower limbs including the foot and ankle. They may also be involved in supporting older people to reduce their risk of falling.


An expert in human behaviour who can help you change the way they think, feel, behave and react. Psychological treatments can be used to help individuals, families, groups and organisations.

Social worker

Supports you to make changes in your life that will improve your personal and social wellbeing.

Speech pathologist

Diagnoses and treats communication disorders, including difficulties with speaking, listening, understanding language, reading, writing, social skills, stuttering and using your voice. They can help you if you have difficulty communicating because of developmental delays, stroke, brain injuries, learning disability, intellectual disability, cerebral palsy, dementia and hearing loss, and other problems that can affect speech and language. If you experience difficulties swallowing food and drinking safely, a speech pathologist can also help you.

In an emergency, always call triple zero (000).


Self-diagnosing and self-medicating

Even though it can be difficult to visit the doctor, it’s a lot safer than self-diagnosing or self-medicating. We recommend that you don’t buy medicines online that haven’t been prescribed by your doctor. There’s no guarantee that the product will work or that it’s safe. All prescription medicines should be filled at an Australian pharmacy.

You should also be wary of ads that promise a better sex life without checking the qualifications and legitimacy of the company promoting the ads.

There’s never a need to sign contracts for long-term treatment of reproductive health problems (such as erectile dysfunction). These conditions can be managed by your local doctor or specialist.